smilingrid: lucky scones

May 30, 2013

lucky scones

So, by now I have told you that I love making good use of my kitchen. One thing that I haven't tried making yet, though, are scones. I've been looking for a simple recipe to try first and found a whole bunch. Then, I managed to narrow down the results and found one that appealed to my geeky side.

I stumbled across these some time back, apparently the recipe comes from the Marvel Augmented Reality app on iTunes. Coulson is one of my favorite characters (by the way, #coulsonlives), both in the movies and the comics. I love when people who are not enhanced are able to kick ass with those who are. 


Now, I don't know why they are lucky, but everyone could use a little luck every now and again! Plus, Mama Coulson made them for her son and he turned out to be a complete ninja. Proof that they work (at least in the Marvel universe, which admittedly does not usually match up with the real world.)


So, here goes!!!



Lucky Scones
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (plus an extra spoonful for “luck”!)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup of dark chocolate chips (bitter is better!)
1 cup heavy cream
2 tsp. butter, melted
If you’re sweet, have extra sugar at the ready for sprinkling after baking!
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking power, and salt before mixing. Toss in the delicious chocolate chips and blend. Next, slowly add the heavy cream to the mixture, stirring until all dry ingredients are incorporated and a dough forms. With well-floured hands, knead the dough for an even mixing.
With a large spoon in hand, drop balls of dough onto the baking sheet. Brush lightly with melted butter and sprinkle on that extra sugar if you’ve a mind to. Bake 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.


some dry ingredients!
AH look at all those chocolate chips!
some cream
mix it allll up
darn good batter, man

I put the dough in the fridge when I left for work. Once I got home, I decided to bake a batch for breakfast tomorrow morning (mostly for my parents since they get up earlier than I do)

brushing some butter on top

close up on that beauty!

 And again, too good not to!

I used a little over half the dough to make 6 HUGE scones. I figure that breakfast is the most important part of the day so I should pack it full of as much luck as possible!



They smelled so very good that I had to have one for a late dinner with a big glass of milk. My Dad was similarly tempted and stole a bite from mine. They taste delicious, now we'll just have to see if they bring the promised luck!

No comments

Post a Comment

Javascript